Friday, June 7, 2013

Hay Fever and Summersaults in Life


Hay Fever and Summersaults in Life
Note: More pictures uploaded! Check them out in the "Pictures" tab.

Mucus and clogged noses. Yuck. The source- Switzerland’s lush green countryside and wicked variety of plant life. I would like to think that if someone very large and mighty took the country of Switzerland between their thumb and forefinger and condensed it into a crayon shape, Crayola would have but one name to call it: Vibrant Verde. Chris and I, being from Arizona and all, aren’t used to this quantity of living herbs. We’ve both had fairly severe reactions to it. I’m just getting over mine, and Chris is just getting through his. We’re told it is a case of Hay Fever, also known as allergic rhinitis.

We didn’t expect to get sick this early. It is kind of cheating, since it is allergies, but then again, it is still the body being unable to handle a certain situation (whether it is pollen, a virus, or bacteria). Hopefully this is all we get of the sickness. We are lucky it is now, though. The place we are staying is very nice, warm, and incredibly friendly.
The attic where Chris and I sleep! His bed is around the corner.
Chris and I will be in Basel, Switzerland until next Wednesday (June 12th) at which point we embark for Sweden. Our time here is long compared to the days we spent in Madrid, Barcelona, and Milan, and we are doing our best to take advantage of the opportunity to explore such a picturesque location. Still, I find myself lying in the attic where we stay and thinking about the world, my life, and life back home. It’s calm and rhythmic, back on the mattress with Explosions in the Sky jetting from my netbook’s speakers. My mind is one to wander and at times like these it tends to wander most.

But, it wanders in a wild and brilliant way.

Yesterday, I came across a tennis club. It has about eight courts, each one of them clay. Some are outdoors and some indoors. I walked into one of the buildings that contained a single court, my black and red hiking shoes gripping into that classic, burnt-orange hue of the clay. I was elated. I felt like a kid stepping onto a baseball field in a stadium for the first time. I ran side to side along the baseline, abruptly stopping at each corner and stepping into an imaginary, down-the-line forehand and backhand.

I asked Lavinia, our current and amazing host, about the tennis club and she gave me some shocking information. This, the neighborhood I am in now, is where Roger Federer first began playing tennis! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! The clay courts I found are where he practiced daily. I think I’m still in a little bit of a stunned state. So cool. I’m going back to the courts later today to get some pictures, and maybe, I can figure out a way to play a quick game or hit some serves there.
Federer in Basel near one of the bridges on the Rhine
There are many people I want to thank so far on our trip, and I think the next post will be dedicated to them. The good-natured hosts at the hostels we have stayed at, Sebastian, Eva, Juan, Matteo, Lavinia, and all those from the Homeless World Cup program that have reached out to me. You guys have made this trip fantastic so far, and I know that without you, Chris and I would just be two dudes from Arizona wandering aimlessly from city to city. You guys have made this trip into an experience, and I know that each day that continues will make it even more memorable.

See ya later.

-Sam



No comments:

Post a Comment