Sunday, August 4, 2013

Inward Thinking

Taken in the Netherlands, near Eindhoven
Hello there. How are you doing? I hope you're wonderful. Oh, and thanks for stopping by to give this little blog a read. Listen to some music while you browse the page. Try Zaz, a French artist that is a fresh mix of jazz, soul, and acoustic.

Let's try and do this post slightly differently. I have a topic I want to write about but I also want to toss out some updates. Chris and I have moved through Brussels and the Netherlands and now we are in Dublin. Lot's to say!

Ah, I posted a bunch of new pictures, too. I think fifty or so, maybe more. Some videos as well.

Kindness
Okay, so, onto the topic. I recently read the transcript for George Saunders speech at Syracuse's 2013 graduation. Here is the link to the speech. It's worth a read. 
This is George.
It got me thinking. Most graduation speeches have this purpose at their core- to make students that are no longer students contemplate their lives and how they can improve them and live with quality in the future. The focus of George's speech was his understanding of what he thought is most important in life- kindness. While this fits with the general theme of the graduation speech, it is unique in it's simplicity.

The core of George's speech revolves around an anecdote he tells. When he was back in school, there was a girl in his class that was made fun of. He didn't take part in the jibes, but he didn't stop them or go out of his way to say hello either. Then, one day, the girl moved. Out of everything in his life, this was one of George's biggest regrets. Why?

Because it is so easy but so difficult to be kind to others. Naturally, we only look out for ourselves. We don't push past the invisible barrier that surrounds us so that we can make another's life better- not initially, at least. But once we start to realize how nice it feels to make someone's day, well shit. We get addicted. Okay, not right away.At first, we are so shy. We poke, and prod, and gradually step outside of our boxes.

This is important, critical, I think. It's what I like most about George's speech. He doesn't tell the audience how to make money, how to be successful, or how he became who he was. He gives what he considers to be the best advice possible: to be kind, or to keep being kind.

Why is this important to me? Maybe it is because of my recent work with the homeless and how I've taken a greater interest in those that are struggling to make a living. Maybe it is because people have been so kind to Chris and I on this trip, that they've shared their lives with us as if we are part of their family. I'm not sure of the exact reason, but I just wanted to make a note of it.

Trip Recaps

The Netherlands
Rental car! Not the best idea inside Amsterdam, but for getting around the country, it was awesome. Chris rented the car with his card, so technically, he was supposed to be our driver. So, we go into the garage, next to that "We try harder" sign in the picture. This guy gets our car and we all do a walk around, looking for any dents or scratches that aren't listed on the contract. After checking, the guy leaves and it is just me, Chris, and our rented motor vehicle. I can see Chris getting a little nervous. I had been asking him if he was going to be able to drive stick or not, or if he needed advice, for about a week at this point. He was always cocky. But with the keys in his hands, finally, the man starts to crack.
Avis in Amsterdam
We throw our bags in the backseat of this diesel, four door, brown, eco-machine and I hop in the passenger seat while Chris gets behind the wheel. We take a minute to admire how nice it i, and then Chris turns the ignition and lights up the engine. Then he tries to go forward.

We stall.

I ask if he needs any help and he's laughing. He tries three or four more times, and the guy that gave us the car comes over to check on us. We're both laughing. "It's his first time driving stick in years," I say. "He's a little rusty."

The guy gives us a nervous smile and walks away and Chris and I make the wise decision to swap seats. I put the car in gear and we zip out of that garage and into the bike-infested city of Amsterdam.

But how was the Netherlands?

Fantastic. I have to say that it may be the prettiest country we have visited. Everything is so lush, so green. Driving on the highway and through the small towns and cities, and walking along the beaches at Zandvoort and Noordwijk was something else. Oh, and thank you, Cassie. Without you teaching me how to drive a manual car, we would have been pushing the vehicle around the country.
It's the kind of place where I can't believe that this is my picture. But it is. I took that. I was there. It's just. Wow.
One memory that I don't think I'll forget was our last night in the Netherlands. We had driven, music blaring, windows down, from Noordwijk to Amsterdam, then Amsterdam to Eindhoven, and found a place to park the car so we could sleep in it overnight. This place was something out of a film. On the fringes of the airport there is this small lot where cars can park next to a chain-link fence. People drive here to take a break, to relax, and to talk about life. They get out of their cars, sit on their hoods or on a nearby bench, and watch planes fly just over their heads and land on the tarmac. So the last night, Chris and I parked here. We ate the last of our bread and peanut butter and we just sat, listening to music, seats reclined, car doors open to maximize airflow, watching the planes fly in and the sun fall down.

It was one of those secret places.

Brussels, Dublin, and Next Steps:
I'm not going to write down any stories from Brussels or Dublin in this post, but let it be known that Brussels was wonderful and Dublin has been treating us great so far. Chris has enjoyed the chance to drink his favorite beer, Guinness, at its source, and we've had our fair share of adventures. Laura, a friend of Chris's, has joined Chris and I for the remainder of our journey- so we are now a lovely trio!

On Tuesday at around 06:00, we will fly to Norway. I'm going to be spending my time there in the airport, as funds are a little to low to afford a place to stay in the city for three nights. So camping it is. It will be an interesting bit of the trip, that's for sure.

We have just thirteen days until we head back to Arizona. My gossshshhhhshshshshshshsh.

<3

Sam





No comments:

Post a Comment